Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Guitar Lesson Two: Done.

It’s freezing outside – 37 degrees according to my car at 6:30AM.

Guitar lesson two was completed on Monday and it was a good time. I’m showing some progress with the chords I’ve learned. We played a shuffle together and I’m grasping the concept of the blues rhythm as it manifests (or is supposed to) on the guitar. The 12-bar blues is pretty basic, at least that’s what I’m coming to understand at this point. Essentially, it is a three chord song as played thought 8th beats.

Sounds really simple, doesn’t it? Three chords… 8th….

For me, it seems nearly impossible. The good news is, as I’ve learned more about the guitar, the 12-bar shuffle seems within reach. The next light in the tunnel is approaching.

Homework was liberally assigned this week – terminology, shuffle play, chord memorization, and chord transitions. Vince is challenging me as a student, so I’m eager to see where I go.

The new change to my practice schema is that I am bringing my guitar to work now. I will play at lunch and on breaks. Then I will go home and play more.

My buddy, Mike, sent me the best cartoon I’ve seen in my life and it captures my passion perfectly… right down to the type of guitar:




Hell yeah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DONT 4GET TO LAY A HAT ON THE FLOOR WHEN U PLAY DURING LUNCH OK HEHEHE JP :)